Where does the time go? Here’s a quick walk through Bennett’s first four years of life…
Bennett, when I blogged about your third birthday, I said that I hoped we were leaving the “terrible twos” behind us. And while I guess we technically did, this year was no cake walk. However, the last few months have generally been easier, with you generally responding in a less intense way. We’re getting there.
A few things about you: you love both of your brothers, but you have an especially intense love for Jack Henry, one that causes you to try to hug and kiss him multiple times a day. And since Jack Henry doesn’t talk, but he has started to assert himself, he’s now pushing you away when he doesn’t feel the love. I know this breaks your heart (well, about 80% of the time it breaks your heart; the other 20% of the time, it really makes you mad), but he’s just trying to communicate with you. You and Luke are just typical brothers – best buddies one minute, fighting over a toy the next. But if asked, you’d say Luke is your best friend. One of the things I’ll remember most about this year is how your love for “Star Wars” developed, and how awesome it was to you that there was a “Luke” and a “Ben” in that movie.
While I’m certain you love me – and demonstrate it with lots of hugs and kisses for me, too – you are your dad’s boy. It seriously wrecks your day if Dad has to leave for work before you get up in the morning. You NEED a few minutes with him to get your day started off right, and Dad’s going to hear about it, probably in a phone call, if you don’t get a hug and kiss before he steps out the door. To keep my sanity, I will gladly place that phone call for you.
You’re still an incredibly empathetic child. Please don’t ever lose that; it’s a beautiful character trait that doesn’t come naturally to everyone, and it’s a nice balance to your intensity. You’ve actually been really helpful to me this year, since Nana died, as you’re the one of the two boys who talks the most about her, and you’re the one who senses when I’m feeling sad. You know instinctively to just come and sit with me for a while, and I love that about you.
I’m excited to see what this year brings, Bennett. Raising you is an adventure, one that your dad and I are thrilled to be a part of. As always, we’re praying that you’ll use your powers for good.
PS…if you have time, will you leave him a birthday greeting? Thanks!
PPS…My SIL Andrea uploaded the video of Bennett getting his money for his birthday! Here it is: