Tonight, we took the boys to their first high school football game, at the school they will someday attend. It was really fun, but it made me realize several things:
1. The last time I was at a high school game, I’m pretty sure that Bill Clinton was president and oversized clothing was in style. I can’t guarantee this, but it was probably 1994. I likely looked something like this.
2. I’ve never actually watched a high school football game. My school didn’t have a football team, so I went occasionally to the other high school’s games, and it was strictly for the boys and meeting up with friends. High school football isn’t as interesting as college or pro.
3. We accidentally sat down in the student section because we got there early and no students were there yet. We moved over a section when we realized our mistake, but it led to me realizing that dang, we’re old. I wonder what high schoolers think of us…are we totally lame? I’m sure that the answer is yes.
4. Our kids are at a great age to do fun stuff like this. Jack Henry’s old enough to be entertained by the crowd, and save a trip to the bathroom that I would rather not have made, he did fine. Luke and Bennett aren’t old enough to think that hanging out with us on a Friday night is lame. I like this.
5. After watching the dance team at halftime, I desperately want to find the old VHS tapes of some of my pom squad performances. I loved being on the dance team, and I’m going to make Matt watch some with me. This will be good.
Here we are! Go team (they were losing at halftime when we left)!