Mmmkay. So here’s when I go, “oh, yeah, I still have a blog…”
The last few weeks have been eventful and honestly, each of these things could have been their own blog post. And let’s face it, at one point in time, they would have been. However, at this point, a quick-and-dirty recap is what is going to happen. Because these things are important! But, I also can’t sit here at the counter on the laptop all day drinking coffee, as nice as that sounds.
1. Out of approximately a billion scheduled baseball games, we played around half a billion. It has been a rainy, rainy summer, and it seriously impacted our baseball schedule (particularly weekend tournaments). So here’s the recap: my boys all won some and lost some, made some amazing, awesome defensive plays and made some errors, got some clutch hits and struck out a bunch of times, pitched some killer innings and gave up lots of hits. I know that’s incredibly specific and descriptive, but it’s the best I can do at this point in the season. For details, talk to any of them, as they remember virtually every play and at-bat ever.
1b. There are very, very few precious moments in a house full of boys, and I wouldn’t want it any other way. I mean, let’s face it…a group of brothers just doesn’t exactly scream precious, and it shouldn’t. However, this morning, without prompting, Luke brought up Jack Henry’s amazing catch in centerfield last night and told him how great it was. And then Bennett piped up with, “Yeah! I saw that catch and thought it was awesome, and then realized it was Jack!” And I almost died from the sweetness.
2. You guys. Matt turned 40. I threw a surprise party for his 30th, and he’d been telling me for several years that he did not want a surprise party for his 40th…and I get it. It’s totally not him. (We could not be more different in this regard. I’d freak out and be like, “A PARTY FOR ME?? YES!!”) So, instead, I told him we were going out for dinner, and our small group friends surprised him by being at the restaurant when we got there. That kind of surprise he can live with, though it cracked me up that on the way to the restaurant, he reiterated that he didn’t like not knowing where we were going. :)
3. And, I turned 38. But really, getting older doesn’t bother me. We ate some really good BBQ, laid by the pool for a few hours, and I read a book. It was a great day.
3b. Our family has passed around pinkeye, and I spent the week after my birthday with it. Lovely. It’s cool that as I’m nearing 40, I spent a week with a school-age kid’s illness.
4. 4th of July fun had by all when we got together with our friends the Swinigans! Love our tradition. Our kids don’t see each other very often but they just pick right up where they left off when they do get to hang out. And just a couple of days earlier, Heather and I made gallons and gallons of applesauce like we do every summer.
5. The boys and I took a little day trip to Elephant Rocks for some hiking and rock-climbing on a non-rainy day. Super fun. I was SORE the next day. They were not.
Ok…I think this paints a good picture so far, for the sake of me being able to someday remember this summer.
Vacation coming soon!